Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Miracle, please.

It's past midnight and I'm sitting at Naan n' Curry down the street from UCSF trying to piece together an update. I'm eating a veg thali and watching the flicker of a Bollywood film out the corner of my eye and imagining myself back in India.  Earlier this week I was dreaming of taking the girls to a rainbow gathering in the Republic of Georgia. Fiona asks me daily when we can go back to Thailand. These days I find myself highly tempted toward escapism, wanting to be anywhere but here. 

It's cold and sprinkling outside and it took me what felt like ten hours to find my car, wandering up and down the street shivering with no jacket. My heart feels cold like the night, disconnected from the pain of it all. It's hard to write an update when I'm feeling like a bystander myself, watching the colors continually change from superhuman strength to pain and powerlessness, from keen engineer of survival to a madman speaking dillusional chatter, from hopeful warrior to a helpless shivering man I can hardly recognize, all this and back again, over and over and over. 

The staph infection is gone, but it has now been replaced by a lactobacillus infection. They've switched antibiotics to treat it. Though blood infections sound scary, they can be knocked out pretty effectively if treated early and appropriately. 

Ian has ejected from all basil opiates, meaning he no longer has a continuous flow of narcotics through IV. He can still push a button if he needs it, but he says it doesn't help much anyway. I really wish the occasional dillusional talk went way with the opiates, though. I think it could just be lack of sleep over the past few months catching up with him. 

Now that his pain is under control, we have a beautiful new goal: getting Ian home and out of the hospital. It hurts to think about because I don't know if it will ever be possible with Ian's desire for continued transfusions, but it's helpful to have a clear goal to work towards.  

Our main steps toward that goal are getting him back to eating food (this is the tricky part which includes his gut healing enough to handle food and no longer needing the NG tube siphoning fluid from his stomach) and getting him strong enough to walk the 3 flights of stairs between the parking lot and entrance to our home. Each day he thinks the intestinal infection is a little better, so we are hoping at some point he can pursue food again. This is quite elusive though, and the doctors aren't sure he will ever be able to eat again. We've learned that Ian tends to far surpass any doctor's expectations, however, so the goal still stands regardless of the many skeptical unknowns in how to achieve it. 

Ian is now up to walking 3 laps around the floor daily, and he's determined to slowly increase it. The other day, a nurse even took him for a walk outside to get his first breath of fresh air in nearly two months. 


This picture feels deceiving, though. In a sense it feels like he's come back to life after being on his deathbed. There were many nights I watched his every breath not knowing if it would be his last.  Things have changed so much since then, but in other more significant ways nothing has changed. Keeping it all in perspective, he's still dying of leukemia with his bone marrow and blood packed with only blasts. He's still surviving on daily transfusions and IV nutrition. His fevers have also ramped up with a vengeance this past week, so he spends half his day hiding under the blankets or cooling off with cold packs as he rides the fever wave with every 6 hour dose of Tylenol. It's rough. 

Oh it's so rough. I'm feeling exhausted from driving back and forth to UCSF and watching him suffer so long.  The girls are also having more meltdowns than usual, requiring more than usual patience and wisdom from their tired Mama. 

We need prayers. So many prayers. We need the wings of heaven to scoop us under and warm us with Divine comfort. I need my heart to melt again, I need to be able to cry again and again and not grow cold on this painfully long journey. And we really need healing. Healing for Ian's intestines so he can eat again and come home, healing for the leukemia so he can make his own blood and have an immune system again. There's really no hope at all for Ian's body besides a big fat miracle. 












22 comments:

  1. Dear Christy,

    it's almost 2am. I just woke up from a nightmare and I'm scared to go back to sleep. I began to pray in the dark and then started looking at my phone, hitting the websites I look at most days. You are up too I see. we have never met but I check in on you daily through this blog. I knew Julia Moya from bible school years and years ago and she posted ypur blog on her FB months ago. I've been praying for you since.

    I am so sorry for your struggles as you wait in such a dark and lonely place. I am so, so sorry. please know you are heard! if by me in this way, certainly by God. one of my favorite verses is psalm 34:18 "The Lord draws close to the broken hearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit" Something I remember from that bible school is "God's word is not based on our feeling but HIS fact" which means to me, it doesn't matter whether we "feel" him or not. HE IS HERE. But oh...how I wish and hope you feel him again soon.

    If there is one thing I know about you from reading your posts, it is that you have a big, warm, and beautiful heart. I wish it was healed from this daily exhaustion. I believe it will be.

    When I was little, my mom suffered for many years before she passed away. I was 10. she was 47. I still miss her in my mid 30's. My dad has told me stories of her fight and courage through her long battle. One of my favorites is this one. Near the end, a doctor told her he was deeply sorry, but there wasn't any more that could be done. there wasn't any hope. She pointed her bony finger at him and said "there is always hope...even if we don't get the answers we want." My dad always made it clear that she believed in a God of miracles and hope didn't necessarily mean earthly healing. we have such an amazing God still worthy of our hope in Him. Don't give up Christy!

    I am a nurse now and give away a certain little gift to my patients or family members when they are feeling similar to how you are tonight. i would like to send you one if I may. my email is clairebare1@yahoo.Com (if you're ever comfortable giving a stranger your address) super mature email for a 35 year old right?! ;)

    The contents of your heart are so raw and beautiful tonight. Thank you for sharing with the world. you are incredibly brave. so many who suffer put on their fake chriatian smile and you have not. some day will be different and better. I hope that day comes very soon. but until then, so many of us are "here" as you grieve. I am full of hope for you dear girl. I am full of hope for Ian.

    claire from Oregon

    ReplyDelete
  2. This has been a very long journey, and you have been so beautifully brave and strong for everyone around you. It is absolutely okay to feel wobbly on your wheels at this point. Your brutal honesty about how broken you are feeling has made you into an incredible writer, and given you an outlet for some of the emotional pain that you have to constantly push under the surface. It has also helped you to surround yourself with people near and far, many that you have never met, who are lifting you up in their thoughts and prayers. Lean on those close to you to take a turn with Ian, and give you some time off for yourself - maybe yoga, massage, or talking to a grief counselor could help you find the strength you will surely need to face the coming days and weeks ahead. -Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been praying that it is in God's will for a miracle that can only be explained by Heavenly intervention since the beginning of this most recent, tortuous journey. I continue to pray for that miracle, that I know God can provide if it is His will. I don't claim to understand the ways of our Lord . . . I don't. You have remained amazingly strong through the most difficult of times, and to sometimes feel incredibly weak . . . well, that is part of our human-ness. I know your strong faith through all of this has been a source of inspiration to many, many people, quite a few of whom you do not even know, because your blog posts are shared widely with others - got to spread that prayer cover as far as possible - a blessed "ripple effect." So I pray for God to pull you close in His arms right now, when you need it so badly, in a way that is very tangible to you, and continue to strengthen you. I pray for your sweet daughters, who are enduring things many have not ever endured in decades of life. I pray that Ian might get the sorely needed rest from the limited sleep he is getting. Mostly, I pray that God will heal Ian, completely, and bless him with many more years on this earth to sing His praises. Visualize people all over the world, holding Ian, you, and your family up to God in prayer, and take a wee bit of strength from that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praying, dear sweet sister in Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ah sis I love you guys so much. My heart aches for you all, I want to ease your struggle and know that I've no recourse except to pray. So I pray. I love you guys SOOO much.
    charm

    ReplyDelete
  6. I still remember you doing out reaches of love with lollipops along with Ian and our crew ...such a golden youthful time

    This journey is not like that and I don't know what to say except we all hurt when you and he hurt and wish we all could take a piece of his pain on ourselves to set him free from it but it doesn't work that way on this side of heaven

    It's ok to grieve and cry and question and let it out rather than bottlin it all in

    You and Ian have always been colorful beams of light and may you always be

    ReplyDelete
  7. You all have my prayers each and every day. May God give you peace. My heart hurts for you. You are an amazing strong woman. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  8. Praying God's comfort and strength . . . and, of course, healing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. christy, you have my admiration for how you are handling all this. rarely do i see a wife hold things together and be so real.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Miss you guys greatly, I know we haven't spent too much time together, but I've loved the two of you as long as we've known each other. Ian, I will be praying for you still, as well as you Christy. Miracles happen, and I believe one can happen to Ian. Much Love

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is wonderful news! Praise God for the Healing that is ALREADY TAKING PLACE ! ! ! You have your miracle, it is happening right before your eyes! Do not be faint of heart, trust God that he will complete the miracle he has already begun.

    God has great plans for Ian and your family. Believe and Trust God for that which He is already accomplishing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Our hearts ache with you dear friends. Our prayers continue unabated. May you experience relief and renewing. May Ian be healed. May this goal of bringing him home be fulfilled and may he find the strength to walk up those flights of stairs. May Fiona receive grace and peace in her big heart.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Still praying for you. May the Lord sustain you, give you rest, and be your strength.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My heart aches for you and your girls. I'm a friend of Ahshuwah and Sharon by the way. I think of you and Ian occasioning and hadn't heard an update recently so I checked your blog today. I am gathering my family together now to pray for your family now. May God give you strength and overwhelm you with his love!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Praying for your family! In Jesus name, we call forth healing to Ian’s body, to his organs, to his blood…
    We rebuke the leukemia, the infections, the fevers, and command them to be expelled from Ian’s body.
    We pray the Lord’s Spirit, peace, and strength to fill each member of your family. May our Lord’s strong, loving hands carry you through this painful time!

    ReplyDelete
  17. How is Ian? How are your beautiful daughters?

    ReplyDelete
  18. We are praying for you as you walk through these shadows. Praying for light to reach you when you loose hope, peace to fill your hearts and eagles to carry you forward when you don't have the strength to walk. Love from the Hicks.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thinking about your family and praying for you all. May His Spirit be with you.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am holding you all in the light. That you may find your heart again, that you may feel every single ripple of Life and of love, even when it hurts so deeply.

    I have been following your family's story for some time now- and Ian and I connected via blogs a little while ago. I am a fellow BMT patient and my heart is with your family almost every day.

    It is difficult for me to say anything worthy in times like this, which is when I turn to the words of others. Rilke is one of the most influential writers in my life, and this poem has been floating around in my thoughts this week specifically. This is a mix of two different, though generally accepted, translations from the original German; but I connect with certain parts of both versions, so hear is how I read it:
    ----
    You see, I want a lot.
    Perhaps I want everything:
    the darkness that comes with every infinite fall
    and the shivering blaze of every step up.
    So many are alive who don't seem to care.
    Casual, easy, they move in the world
    as though untouched.
    But you take pleasure in the faces
    of those who know they thirst.
    You cherish those
    who grip you for survival.
    You have not grown old, and it is not too late--
    To dive into your increasing depths
    and drink in the life
    that reveals itself quietly there.
    ----

    Ian, my heart is with you. Peace to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete