
Ian has been fairly low energy this past week. His liver function test results yesterday were pretty much the same, some slightly up and some slightly down. They decided to triple his green tea supplements and focus on getting him off immunosuppressants as soon as possible. They expect there to still be some leukemia cells hiding out, and the chances are much more likely the longer his immune system is suppressed. The whole point of the bone marrow transplant is to have GVL (graft vs. leukemia) and usually GVHD (grafts vs. host disease) comes with the territory. The transplant will be unsuccessful if
any leukemic cells survive, so they cut his immunosuppressant in half yesterday and are hoping for him to be completely off within a few weeks. This is an aggressive move and opens him up to more liver issues as well as GVHD, but the benefit of a possible cure outweighs the risks.
Please pray this goes miraculously smooth and all leukemic cells are detected and destroyed!
On the home front, two days ago I was hit with a miserable cold/mystery allergy attack. We avoid anyone whose had symptoms or has been exposed to anyone with symptoms of illness for the past two weeks, and yet now here I was sneezing and nose dripping all over our home and kids! I washed my hands a billion times, I swear. Friday morning, some dear friends swooped down with angel wings to pick up the girls for a sleepover so I could get some rest and to avoid our children becoming deceptively cute germ vectors for Ian. I'm feeling much better today after a blessed 24 hours of rest and so far I'm the only one whose been hit. Please pray it does not spread to anyone else in our family...
Ian, I am Bekah's father (I saw your post on her blog and wanted to learn more about you). I've read thru your journey and you have a wonderful family, friends, and (many) prayer warriors! I had Hodgkin's when I was 30 (just before my 2nd daughter was born -- we have 3 girls now). I was diagnosed in December 1989, treated with surgeries and radiation, and finished treatment mid-August 1990. I'm 54 now. I grew in Christ during that trial and firmly believed that He was watching over and taking care of me. I was at peace even though my body was taking a hit. It's truly amazing (still today).
ReplyDeleteI just wanted to say "hello" and let you know that I will be praying for you and your family too. Many blessings to you all, Ken