Thursday, November 26, 2015

It's Like the Whole World is Crying With Us



The past few days have been filled with intense grief. Ian's latest biopsy showed what we have both been quietly suspecting - the leukemia continues to rage. Ian never got his energy back after the last treatment and he has been having increased night sweats and other leukemic symptoms. Once the disease becomes resistant to one form of chemo, there is less chance for any other kind of chemo to work.

We were given the choice yesterday whether or not to continue treatment. We've decided to go one more round. Ian checked back into UCSF and began a new regimen of chemo last night. If this puts him into remission, then a transplant is still possible. Otherwise, apart from a miracle, he will be left to survive on blood transfusions until he is no longer able to survive.

Ian wept and prayed over each of our girls yesterday morning as he said goodbye, knowing he will be in the hospital another month and may not have much longer to live. As we stepped outside into the gray, rainy morning with heavy hearts and tears still wet on our cheeks, Asha said sadly, "It's like the whole world is crying with us." Fiona asked if it rains when God cries.  It felt like the whole world was dripping with tears, mourning for us and all that we were going through. Somehow it was comforting. 

Please pray for us. We are still choosing to take it moment by moment, knowing this bad news does not change the fact that we are in God's good hands. We feel deep peace in this storm. We feel parts of our hearts healing in the midst of our breaking. We feel divine grace carrying us, as we have throughout this journey. We know without a doubt that if this fire continues to grow hotter, then we will be given bountiful grace to walk through it.  One day, one moment, one prayer of surrender, one tear, one deep breath at a time.








19 comments:

  1. Words seems inadequate. My spirit groans deeply for all of you tonight and I pray for you to be strengthened and healed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My heart,aches to read this update, and on Thanksgiving, no less. I will keep praying and loving your whole family as you continue the battle with such grace. I wish I could in my arms.
    All my love,
    Sumati

    ReplyDelete
  3. My heart,aches to read this update, and on Thanksgiving, no less. I will keep praying and loving your whole family as you continue the battle with such grace. I wish I could in my arms.
    All my love,
    Sumati

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm crying with you. I'm so sorry for all this pain. But I am so grateful for your love and trust in God and His faithfulness.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am Diana Hunter , an old friend of Jay and Diana Brown, Ian's parents. Diana texted me today. We at Evergreen UMC ,where I am the pastor, are holding you each and all in the heart of God's lovingkindness. We meet for prayer four times per week including for Holy Communion on Fridays at 4pm. You will be remembered at God's Table every Friday and at all other prayer times. Deep blessings, Diana Hunter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. so sorry to hear this update. my son and i just prayed together for each one of you. grateful God's peace is evident right now. continuing to lift you up to our Heavenly Father.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ....One of the saddest mysteries of the fall is why and when amazing saint-sons like Ian have to go through this...it's like the book of Job and it's like the book of Job for those closest to him...without the judgmental words of course....Sooooooo hard. Glad there are moments and rays of peace given by God who is beyond the effects of sin foreshadowing eternal glory just on the other side of this world. The gospel involves not just this life but the other. I have only experienced rubbing up close to death for a month when I went through cancer treatments and nothing as hard and heavy as Ian's. But I hope God gives you all glimpses of eternal weighted glory of no pain that will swallow this all up in one moment though this moment you are all in seems eternal and as if you are in exile. I hate hate pain and He and you are experiencing so much of it. Ian is wonderfully made and so are you Christy. I don't ever forget our UCSC experiences, the tears, the laughter, the evangelism, the conflict, the reconciling, ....I am in town for a few days. Do you take visitors ?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi 😊 I am a friend of Rae (Rachel) Ford's. She shared your blog on Facebook. I will be standing in prayer with you for a miracle. Blessings on you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We are crying with you and standing with you for Life. Much love from all the Dicksons

    ReplyDelete
  10. Praying for the miracle of remission, transplant and healing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. my heart is with you and praying for peace on this journey that is now a part of your life. Shana Bartlett is my nephew's wife and she shared this post. I am so sad that you must endure such pain and joyful that you have God to reach out to. Much Love to you and your family.


    ReplyDelete
  12. We're standing with you with much love and prayer.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We continue to pray for the incredible comforting presence of God to fill each of you as you walk moment by moment in God's grace.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ian, Christy, and little ones, we are praying and hurting for you. Lord have mercy. Love, Chris, Anna, and our little ones.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Always praying for you Ian hoping for a miracle brother

    ReplyDelete
  16. Praying God's Healing over you with great faith to a Happy ending.

    Praying for your healing!!

    Sending prayers and positive thoughts.

    Ian, these are prayers and well wishes from Colorado and Arizona. I work with your Mom, Diana and she is such an inspiration to us all. Continued prayers for you and your beautiful family. Thank you for sharing your faith and testimony. Cindy Pool

    ReplyDelete
  17. May the God of light give you peace today.

    Matthew 4:16New International Version (NIV)

    16 the people living in darkness
    have seen a great light;
    on those living in the land of the shadow of death
    a light has dawned.”[a]

    ReplyDelete