Friday, January 8, 2016

Heavy Storm Clouds

My head is pounding as I recover from spending all night nodding off in a rock hard chair in the ER, but I know I really need to send an update so here it goes. 

Oh it's been rough. Rough, rough, rough. The "I want to hide in bed under the covers and sleep, hoping that this is all just a bad dream" kind of rough. There are heavy storm clouds threatening overhead. 

The treatment Ian started was denied by insurance. It's too costly for the hospital to cover, so it's now off the table unless the drug company agrees to donate it. We're hoping the hospital will cover the first dose and not send us a bill for a quarter million dollars. Checking the mail these days is scary business. 

Ian came home New Year's Eve and was there with us for about a week. It was bittersweet. We were so glad to have him home, but it was painful knowing he was released full of leukemia with no immune system and no further treatment in sight, surviving on transfusions every other day. His soul is still thriving, but his strength is waning. There is a growing shadow of grief looming and I can't seem to push it away. 

Ian started having a fever last night and has been having abdominal pain for a while now. They are thinking it might be colitis, intestinal inflammation.  He's back in the hospital and isn't allowed to eat or drink anything until further notice. He's gotten too skinny already from my perspective, so this is worrisome. If it clears up in a few days, then it was just colitis caused by prolonged neutropenia. If it doesn't clear up, they will look into a more severe form of colitis caused by the treatment which would require steroids. 

I'm trying to fight against worry, to refuse to be held hostage by the terrorists of anxiety, fear and hopelessness. I'm trying to trust, trying to hope, trying to be present. But to be honest, I'm feeling very weak, very overwhelmed, very sad and alone. I'm just a Dixie cup. I don't have the strength to carry this heavy burden, to weather this miserable storm. I know my anchor holds beyond these flames, that beauty can come from ashes, that fresh new life will eventually spring up after the storms have passed, but right now it all just feels too sad and grey. 

Please pray for us. 


25 comments:

  1. You are loved, you are loved, you are loved. I'm so sorry this is happening. So so so sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Ones, our heart are breaking with yours. Praying to the anchor and great physician with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Ones, our heart are breaking with yours. Praying to the anchor and great physician with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh tears. We pray daily for your family and will continue to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Weeping and trusting with you dear ones...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Christy! This burden is too heavy. Wow! I am weeping with you right now. The pain of all this most be tremendous. I will continue to pray much for you. Much for Ian. And much for the girls.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am praying for Ian and for you . God is able.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Christy, praying and groaning in my spirit for you, Ian, and the girls. Thank you so much for your vivid and articulate words. You take us with you, as far as humanly is possible, into your night of crisis facing down the terrorists who attack faith, hope, and love.
    Jesus, you are present in all things, in heaven and in the grave. Show my brother and sister your kindness today in small and great ways. Give them your grace for every decision they will face. Send your healing in this dark hour.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't even comprehend how stormy and daunting this journey is for you. I'm praying for absolute healing for Ian. I'm asking the lord to bless your heart with all the love and care possible, ever.❤️

    ReplyDelete
  10. Christy, Ian and girls,
    We stand with you and pray. Love. Revelation of the arms underneath you. Support. Help. Redeemer come! Rend the heavens and come down. Abba!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Praying for complete healing. Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't even comprehend your pain and sorrow and fear. I'm so sorry you are feeling all of that, that your family life has these terrible things in it. I am praying, praying! I am very angry at the drug companies, and praying for miraculous deliverance from that insurance nightmare. Dear, sweet woman. I am praying you do not feel abandoned by God, and that you are getting all the love and support you need for the daily living things.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ian, you have so many people who are praying for you and your family. My prayers are for you to be relieved of the physical pain, and be able to be in the presence of your loving family, find laughter, and comfort.
    Ian's family, my heart and love are with you... ~Gunda

    ReplyDelete
  14. Praying with and for you....in the sad, grey, scary hard loneliness. Praying you can all feel The Comforter's comfort strongly.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Heavy-hearted as I read your latest update, but lifting up Ian and Christy and Asha and Fiona in prayer to our Creator, for super-natural healing, and comfort during the storm!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Groaning, groaning and groaning. I want to rage against the storm for you. But instead I will submit and ask that Jesus stand in the gap and pray the words needed.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Big love to you family ❤ I pray that our beautiful Creator brings peace, provision & healing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. We are praying our church is praying Christy. I am so sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm praying for you guys. Thank you for being so transparent with us.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I heard about you from Lisa Craddock. My husband fought cancer for 5-1/2 years. It was horrible. I am so sorry you are going through this. Resisting raging on about our broken, inhumane health care system. Don was treated at Stanford. We were able to get financial assistance from them. They covered all of his treatment there which wasn't covered by insurance. He also received outstanding care. Perhaps you can check that out, or ask at the hospital where treatment is being received now for this type of financial aid. You have more than enough on your plate without having to worry about finances. Sending you blessings, healing wishes, & peace. Jen~Daniel's mama

    ReplyDelete
  21. So many people are praying for you Christy. More prayers and love than you can imagine surround you. Mine too. Love you Christy.

    ReplyDelete