It's the middle of the night. I'm here in Ian's room and sleep is not happening. I'm compelled to write and ask for prayer, for several things:
1. The intestinal infection is not getting better, even though they gave him the strongest antibiotic they have for it. They have switched antibiotics now, hoping another might work. Constant trips to the restroom and further weakness are not what he needs right now. Please pray this infection will clear up quickly and there might be relief.
2. Ian is coughing and wheezing a lot. He is working really hard, laying on one side and then the other, coughing to bring up whatever is stuck in there so he can breathe easier. It is so painful to hear, I know this is so exhausting for him. And a little bit scary. Please pray all of this clears up quickly that he might breathe freely and be able to rest.
3. Water retention is another issue right now. He is not able to eat much at all, and vomits most of whatever little bits he does manage to choke down. The nausea is better, but his appetite is zero. In spite of this, he keeps gaining weight and feels bloated. His feet were swollen earlier. He is trying to drink more water. He is too week to exercise. This is very challenging on so many levels. Please pray.
4. Ian is and will continue to be neutropenic until sometime between the 17th and the 20th of December. This means he has no white blood cells, no immune system, and his body is ultra vulnerable. Nurses have to put on a new disposable gown cover every time they come into his room. No fresh flowers, fruits or veggies allowed in his room. On the misery chart one of the doctors drew, he is now heading into the worst of it. Please pray protection for his body from any further complications. Please pray he will have the energy, strength and creativity to find ways to exercise his body during this time.
5. My parents are fighting a cold right now. My dad is coughing pretty bad. He thinks he might be allergic to the Christmas tree, so we put it outside tonight. My parents are over 70 years old and my dad has lymphoma, so they aren't exactly fresh spring chickens. I am so, so, so thankful for their joyful support in caring for our girls in this season. They are amazing! Please pray my parent's immune systems are strong and they stay healthy. Please pray our daughters do not get sick, I do not get sick, and most importantly no germs are passed along to Ian.
Thank you so much for walking this with us. Your prayers are a deep consolation, knowing there are friends and family and even complete strangers crying out to the heavens for us. I promise you there have been some bright spots, too. I am planning a post full of them and will definitely get that up soon. But right now, tonight... I'm having to beg for more prayer.
Thanks for hanging in there with us!
Christy, Prayers are going up for you and Ian. I put this in our Elm Street Mission Group and Page.Hope you get some rest tonight.
ReplyDeleteWe love you, and are lifting your family up in prayer.
ReplyDeleteDear sister,
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing. It is our privilege to lift you up and to stand with you.
'The eternal God is your refuge, and underneath are the everlasting arms.' Deut 33:27
Love, Brendan and Leaf
Hi Christy,
ReplyDeleteI've been praying since I first saw your post on FB, I finally have a minute to respond so here I am. I would like to offer my best I Work At The Hospital advice/information in hopes that some of it is useful to you.
1) in a general sense it is surprising how far flowers/cookies/etc for the nurses goes. I'm not sure if this is good or bad, but there it is.
2) if his stomach bug is C-Diff then the alcohol gel won't work on it, you need to wash your hands with soap and water when you leave the room, and Ian shoukd after every trip to the bathroom (sometimes they forget to tell people this).
3) raise the head of his bed up about 30 degrees, this will help with his breathing. While you are at it play with the bed controls a bit, there a lot of interesting things you can do with it, such as making the mattress firmer or raising the whole bed so you don't have bend over when helping him with things.
4) It's likely that the breathing and the water retention are related. Just a thought.
5) your doctors and nurses work hard and know what they are doing, but this doesn't mean they NOTICE everything. You know Ian better than they ever will, even in this context you are the one sitting next to him for hours. So don't be shy about asking them to assess and address his discomforts. Don't assume they've noticed the swelling and the breathing difficulty (for example). Tell them you are worried and if they AREN'T worried ask them to explain why so that you don't have to worry as well.
6) keep a notepad where you and Ian write down your questions for the doctors. It's hard to remember everything when they are in the room for their brief visit.
Hopefully you will find some of this useful. But even if you don't, please know that David and I are praying for you and Ian during this season.
Much love, Annie and David Stepka
Praying for you.
ReplyDeletePraying for you and your family. Remember that our God is not a God of statistics and numbers, he is a God of grace, mercy and miracles.
ReplyDeleteBeen praying will keep praying. Love to you all.
ReplyDeleteHi Christy and Ian. Thanks for your update and prayer request. We think of you often and have prayed for God's mercy many times.
ReplyDeleteI love you Christy. We're praying.
ReplyDeleteDefinitely praying. We also have you on the prayer list for the whole church.
ReplyDeleteagreeing with you in prayer christy!
ReplyDeletePraying and thinking of you all. <3
ReplyDeletePraying for you guys in all this! Much love!
ReplyDeletePraying to our Mighty and Abundant Abba.
ReplyDeleteJoy MK
We are here -- and we are praying without hardly ceasing....
ReplyDeletexoxo to you all.
I'm a friend of Ian's from Intervarsity at UCSC and found this blog when Mike Park posted the link. My father-in-law is fighting multiple myeloma so I can relate to some of this. I also have a kid who goes from a simple cold to the PICU so I'm more than familiar with infectious disease protocol and hospital stays. :)
ReplyDeleteI'm with Annie on raising the head of his bed 30 degrees -- I know it helps me when I'm having breathing problems to sleep sitting up. You are also his best advocate so please don't be afraid to tell the doctors or nurses (firmly if necessary) about what you are observing. If you can, be present for rounds and ask LOTS of questions. And yes, keep a notepad so you can get questions answered if his doctor or nurse isn't present.
Hang in there, both of you.
--Jen Kibler-McCabe (formerly Jen McCabe)
Miranda and I are praying hard for you. Our hearts break to know that Ian must go through so much pain again. May he be healed of the cough and the stomach bug soon, and may he experience relief, and may his liver be able to take the heavy medications. May God give you both strength and deep love for each other, and may your girls experience God's love too. May your parents have the strength and experience God's love as they love your family. May each day be taken at a time and may God give you the grace sufficient for each day, just as you both are writing. You are a deep blessing to us. We love you very much - Chris and Miranda
ReplyDelete