Friday, December 7, 2012

Where we are at...


First of all, am thankful to say I was able to sleep deep the last two nights! And last night without even taking that little blue pill. Thank you for your prayers :)

Ian finished up his last chemo treatment a few hours ago, but it may take a while for the nausea to go away. He has been having higher fevers the last couple nights due to an infection in his intestines.  I cried when I heard this, but the nurse reassured me this is fairly common for his situation and with time the antibiotics should help.  

We have now reached step two, where we wait a week for the chemo to set in. The nausea should subside, but due to zero white blood cells this is a most vulnerable time for fevers and infections and much weakness. Please pray his intestinal infection heals quickly and that he gets no more infections during this time. At the end of the week, they will do another biopsy to see if they detect any cancer. The doctor says there will still be undetectable levels, but if any are detectable then he gets another "bonus round" of chemo. Please pray no bonus round. Once his biopsy comes out totally clear, from what I understand, they give him growth hormones to stimulate his body to replace his blood cells over the next few weeks. Summary: When he arrived here at the hospital, his bones were literally full of cancer cells that kept his healthy cells from reproducing. Now, as the chemo does it's work, his bones are becoming empty. Next, they will slowly fill back up with healthy blood. There are good chances that this will bring him into remission for a time, and he can come home for several weeks before the next treatment begins...

We are also waiting for the results of his first bone marrow biopsy. Should come in at the end of next week or so. These results will help us know a lot more about his further treatment and prognosis, depending on his genes and the genetics of his disease. Please pray these results will be good news.  I've seen the statistics, staring me in the face for days on a white board in Ian's hospital room. I can't think about it.  Taking it one day at a time...


3 comments:

  1. I'll be especially praying the antibiotics will help with the infection soon. It sounds like you have great care there. And I'll be praying for the results will be good news.

    ReplyDelete