Monday, March 11, 2013

Day 33: Flickering Flame

It's been rough. I can't lie, I can't pretend otherwise. I was really hoping for a light-hearted post about now, with lovely pictures of the girls next to Ian smiling his wonderful smile full of hope and faith. But that is not an accurate picture of where he is at right now...

It's been a rough road these past few weeks. We were expecting him to be gaining strength and getting back to his old self in no time, like he did after his first round of chemo, but this is a whole new ballgame. It is much more complicated and severe. This is no game. It is a roller coaster with twists and turns night and day, every day, and very few restful stretches that allow us to just relax and enjoy the scenery.

I miss my Ian.  I feel like he hasn't really been back since his counts shot up after the transplant. He has been lost in a haze of medications, pain, low energy, discomfort, and nausea.  He is unable to connect deeply or communicate much most of the time. That pulsing fire of life and hope and faith that was fighting the good fight has faded to a faint glow, a flickering flame. He just hasn't been himself.

Tomorrow is another clinic day. We may have more answers, or maybe just more questions. Yesterday they found his platelets even lower than ever and gave him two transfusions.  He had a reaction to the last one and had to sit in the ER waiting room for hours until he felt stable enough to make the ride home. He and Uriah didn't get back until almost midnight, and I didn't sleep much that night even after hearing they made it home safely. It's hard not to worry, especially when there are so many questions with so few answers and my husband's life hangs in the balance. I know God holds the scale and calls the shots. I know He already has all the knowledge that the doctors are poking around for. I know these current shadows and shades of grey are an essential part of something beautiful in the making. I know we are being carried even when it feels like we're falling... but I still struggle with that storm in my stomach.

As for current details, he still has rashes, mysterious pain and bloating in his abdomen, and fevers that come and go. His CT scan isn't scheduled until next Monday, my birthday, so he is slugging along in the pain and discomfort trying to make self-observations and guesswork about what might be the issue. Just walking the stairs is difficult for him. It seems like he is getting weaker instead of stronger.  They say it is probably too early for GVHD to present itself, which makes me even more nervous knowing that this could be the "calm" before the real storms hit. It is all a bit overwhelming.

And so I'm writing to share our situation and to ask for prayer. Please pray for Ian, that his spark of life and hope and faith will become a flame again. Please pray strength for him to fight this fight.  Please pray for a smooth road ahead - that the rashes and mystery pains and fevers would subside, that his blood counts would stabilize, and that his energy levels would increase.  Please pray wisdom and divine guidance for his medical team.  Please pray for Uriah as he carries the bulk of responsibility for Ian's care.  Please pray for me to take refuge in my Lord and lay all these burdens at his feet.  And if you don't mind, please let us know you are thinking about us and praying.  Comment, text, email, call... Ian especially is feeling lonely and needing some extra love right now.

Thank you!


17 comments:

  1. Praying for that flame of hope and strength to become brighter! I pray that our Lord and Creator continue to hold your family close to Him. I do pray that He will guide ALL the medical personnel with whom you cross paths, that they may be compassionate and more importantly, that they find some answers (even if the answer is that all of this is part of the healing process, that must be endured). I pray that you will 'feel' the strength of the prayers of so many on your behalf - remember how Moses' arms were held up by others, and imagine all of us holding you up in prayer as you battle through this portion of Ian's recovery. Our prayers are also with Uriah, for continued strength of mind and body.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ian & Christy - Please know our love & prayers for you and your family. May our gracious heavenly Father fill you both afresh with abundant showers of the Holy Spirit during this season and bring forth new life out of this wintery gloom. May God bring healing to Ian's body, health to his bones, & encouragement to your souls . . . in Jesus Name! We love you! Scott & Kim

    ReplyDelete
  3. You don't know me, Christy, and Ian probably doesn't remember me, but I was so grateful for the SC group (Ian included) who welcomed me as part of the gang, back in 2002-2004. I have many fond memories of swing dancing and solid Christian fellowship. I can't imagine what you are going through, but I do know that the One who knows every pain, fear and tear, will be faithful to you through this trial. I'm praying for you, and your sweet family, trusting that our sovereign, loving God will be your strong deliverer during this most difficult time. Much love and prayers from Cambodia.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear ones...you are in our prayers daily as we beseech the Lord, who is full of tender mercies, to touch your lives with healing and encouragement.
    We love you!
    Diane and Bill

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Ian and Christy,
    Please know that we are praying for you as you walk through this, one step at a time. Praying that God will shield you with His faithfulness, and that His ever present help will be clearly felt by both you and Ian. Praying for strength for this day, for peace as God carries you always close to Himself. Praying for renewed strength as you wait on Him. Praying for answers to Ian's suffering and for healing. Praying for provision, in all the ways it is needed. You, and Ian, are not forgotten...and most certainly not forgotten by God. Much love to you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know your family, but am a believer and have mutual friends with you. I am so sorry for all that you are going through, and will continue to lift your family up in prayer and healing for Ian.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Praying for strength for Ian and the family. Praying for wisdom and knowledge for the medical professionals, and thanking God that He is in control of everything.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Definitely praying for you, Ian and Christy and all!

    Today's verse in my inbox seems quite fitting, and is part of my prayer for Ian. It was 1 Chronicles 4:10:
    "Jabez cried out to the God of Israel, 'Oh, that you would bless me and enlarge my territory! Let your hand be with me, and keep me from harm so that I will be free from pain.' And God granted his request."

    with a nice image here:
    http://www.heartlight.org/gallery/1672.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Dear Friends. I love you so much and am praying for you. We talk about you around the house all the time. Abigail was planning her birthday (6 months in advance) and Asha is on the list to invite. All that to say that you are close to our hearts and in our prayers always.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Praying for you all constantly!
    ~Allen & Amy Johnson

    ReplyDelete
  11. We are praying for Ian and you all. God bless you my friends.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Sweetie! I have lived similar days and nights and weeks and weeks, watching as my dad battled lung cancer and then leukemia. It was the darkest time in my life, and I remember it all. The shivers and the vomiting, the coughing that went on all night long. The nose bleeds that would take a towel to mop up. I am so deeply sorry for your heartache and pain and sheer exhaustion.

    Sometimes I think that other people don't (or can't) realize how "cancer" is really just another word for "waiting". You are always waiting. Waiting for the next treatment, the next round, the next rally, the next dr. appointment, the next test, the next test result.

    May God bless you, and strengthen you, even as I know He "waits" with you. He will continue to shelter you and your precious family under the wings of his strong, ever-present Angels.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We are praying for you all! Your updates continue to be helpful.. I am so sorry that Ian has been feeling so terrible. May the Lord grant you continual faith in His perfect plan for your lives.
    With love, The Bartletts

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Ian and Christy,
    There has not been a day gone by that your whole family isn't being prayed for. Christy, your posts are written so beautifully and with such great care. Thank you for taking the time to share with us the real struggles and realities as you simultaneously press into the Lord deeper and deeper. Your life is truly a testimony of faith, hope and love. Your light (Christ's light in you) shines so brightly even in this dark and uncertain time. The Figliomeni family is here for you if you need anything, please just ask.

    Love,
    The Fig Fam

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ian and Christy,

    We are praying for you. Christy, I pray that your birthday would be one filled with great joy, even in the midst of this battle.

    Pri, Jesse and I were out the other day and Jesse says, "Tia, remember when Asha and me were at your house?" I love that my son has such a sweet memory with your daughter. :)

    When the girls can play, I'd love to take them so that they can make more.

    Love, Mary

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dear Ian and Christy,

    I am praying for you, your family and Uriah. I'm so sorry that you are going through such a hard time. I hope that all the warm thoughts and heartfelt prayers that you are receiving from your friends, loved ones and acquaintances alike will help comfort you in knowing you are cared for, loved, and wished strength in recovery. Keep fighting and keep hoping.

    much love,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  17. We are praying for you and love your sweet family. Wish we could do more.

    ReplyDelete