Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Update

Ian said to me this morning with a peacefully glowing smile, "Well, if Jesus takes me Home then that will be fantastic." Life has not been easy for him lately, but he is still very much alive and carrying on moment to moment. Doctors occasionally remind us of the standing offer for him to give up the steady flow of transfusions and antibiotics in the hospital and just go home, but that doesn't feel right to us. We are waiting on the Lord and His timing, and we are still praying for a miracle of healing. 

The mystery fevers continue unabated. The abscess in Ian's colon is still contained, meaning it hasn't burst and set off the countdown to eternity. The infection as a whole seems to be getting worse, though. The inflammation has at least partially blocked his intestines and his belly is still very swollen and tender. He hasn't been able to eat anything the last four days and is quickly losing weight and energy. They started him on IV nutrition and lipids last night.

Chinua has been here for several weeks now, a faithful friend by Ian's side. He has probably spent half his nights here in the hospital chair - a contraption that transforms into something similar to but not quite like a bed. It's been an amazing gift to me, knowing Ian is in good hands while I'm away with the girls.  


Tomorrow he flies back to his precious wife and kids. Just to give a tiny window into how amazing his wife Rachel is, they had a family trip to India scheduled this month and she made the trip as a single mom with their five kids. All for the sacrifice of love and friendship, so that Chinua could be here to support us. I have often melted into tears of gratitude and amazement at how they as a family have served us in this season. 

Please pray for Fiona as she isn't doing so well. She was up with my mom in the middle of the night screaming with growing pains and wanting me to be there to comfort her. I was with Ian, on the phone trying to calm her down, watching him writhe in fevered agony while Fiona screamed. She isn't eating much and is losing weight. She misses me, and on a deeper level she misses Ian.  I've tried taking her on special one-on-one hikes through the forest and playing at the beach until the sun sets. These sweet moments of connection can't seem to heal the greater wound and instability of our lives right now, though. 


It's been a rough day, full of heavy hearted sighs. This is a treacherous road with endless steep curves that make seeing around the corner impossible. Some days I just want to fold up into a fetal ball and cry. I don't want to open my eyes to the cliffs below or the cliffs above, I just want to sleep until this nightmare is over. But I know that after some tears and rest, I will have renewed strength to open my eyes again and keep climbing - just one step at a time. 

Thank you for your continued thoughts and prayers. 




18 comments:

  1. continually in our prayers. thank you for the update.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Christy and Ian, I am praying for you both, and for Fiona and Asha. What a difficult time. Thank you for sharing all of these thoughts. It's good to see a picture of Chinua by Ian's side. Give him my love <3. Ian is an amazing person and so are you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't met you, but wanted to let you know I am praying for you tonight. For healing for Ian, for relief from pain, for peace for all of you. And for Fiona to have relief from growing pains, and peace that passes understanding in her little heart! May you feel God wrapping you in His arms.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My dear friend, I love you and am praying for you all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Words fail to express our care and concern. Much love to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Continued prayers. My heart goes out to you all. Gentle hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are stronger than you know. I do not know you or your family but I have heard and read wonderful things and I hope for the peace that you are all seeking. Sometimes the answers only come later, with time. I'm happy to see that you have love and support from a lot of wonderful people. Wishing you strength and love for each different moment and challenge of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear, dear woman. Precious child of our eternally loving Father. Oh, how we all grieve with you for the sad things and the hard things and the painful things. That moment when you were on the phone with one hurting loved one while watching another--what a terrible, helpless moment. I'm praying right now for your sweet girls, and for their love and stability needs to be supernaturally met. You are doing all that you can to be loving and present for each of your family members, and I am praying those together times will bear sweet fruit. So glad to see Ian being loved on by such a good friend--and you too! I'm praying too that you and the doctors will have peace and clear direction whenever you need it. May you be sustained today in love.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Praying day and night sending love.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Praying day and night sending love.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We are praying for his deep comfort, healing, and renewed strength in each of you, precious kids that are so tucked into his loving heart.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I learned of your family's situation from a dear friend of yours and mine and have been earnestly praying for you. My heart just breaks for you all. But your amazing courage and undaunted faith in the midst of horrible, terrifying, and heartbreaking circumstances has been incredibly awe-inspiring. We have a miracle-working God and I continue to beseech Him along with you for Ian's healing and for strength, comfort, and peace for all of you during this struggle. May Christ's love be tangibly present as you walk this out together.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Christy, praying for Fiona right now. Jesus come and comfort this child in her sorrow. Send your angels of comfort and light to surround her. Help her to affirm life in this time of grief. Give her ways of pouring out her infinite grief even as she can't express it in words.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't know you, but I have seen your updates through the Garaways. You all have been heavy on my mind. I'm praying hard for you and Ian and the girls- for God's comfort, miraculous healing, and peace. Love from Idaho.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Not giving up, continually in our prayers. Ian mentioned our girls are around the same age, let us know if your girls would like a play date.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Praying for Holy Spirit to comfort you and your girls. I have two girls and can't imagine what you're going through. You are on my heart tonight. May his peace be upon you during this trying and painful time. May your girls grow up knowing the Father's love so deeply. May your husband be comforted knowing, no matter what, our Father has a beautiful plan for his precious family. Thoughts and prayers are with you tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  17. May love and grace surround you, lift you up and carry you through. You're surrounded by a great cloud of witnesses who are cheering you on. You are precious ♡

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi, Chris H's friend Rhonda from NYC...just want to let you know that you, your beautiful girls and Ian, of course, are in my prayers constantly. Prayers for comfort, peace and strength and many, many for healing.

    ReplyDelete