Monday, February 1, 2016

More Heavy News

Life has been a daily fight for survival around here, but Ian is quite a warrior. He is so very weak and the constant high fevers continue to lead him on a roller coaster of shivering chills and burning heat, night and day. He has a post nasal drip that makes him vomit and have to be super aware of sleeping positions and coughing up mucus to make sure he doesn't get pneumonia. They don't expect the cdiff to clear up in his neutropenic condition. 

On top of all this, we also just got news yesterday morning that there is a perforation and possible abscess in the inflamed area of Ian's intestines (where the typhlitis is). This active and growing infection disqualifies him from any further clinical trial treatment and we are now being directed toward palliative care. 

We are not sure what this will look like as he requires cross matched blood transfusions daily as well as a host of IV antibiotics and antifungals. These things make palliative care at home very difficult. We aren't being forced to make any decisions right now, but we are having to face some very heavy options. As always, we just need to take it one day at a time. 

There have been a lot more tears since this news, a lot more leaning into the side of grief. We haven't let go of hope yet, not by a long shot. Ian is a fierce fighter! But we are more and more drawn to surrender. 

I cornered the doctor yesterday to ask her some blunt questions about what to expect and she said his time frame is likely to be counted in days or weeks, but not months. There is also concern about a possible treatment-resistant fungal infection in his colon, which would tilt the timeline toward days rather than weeks. 

I'm trying to prepare the girls for the worst. They saw me weeping in my mom's arms after I heard the latest news. I told them, yet again, that Abba is not doing well. Asha's eyes got big and round as she cringed and sighed a sunken "oh no." Still, I get the sense that they have grown used to these disclosures and don't take them too very seriously.  

Please pray for us, and especially for Ian as he fights valiantly this intense battle that never lets up. 


26 comments:

  1. So sorry for your news. We will continue praying for a miracle. We know that He is in control. We pray peace over your family also. May you feel His arms holding you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's so much more. Words can't even let you know all that we are feeling with you. They sound so trite and limp. Just know we love you and are continuing to pray.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "God moves in a mysterious way. His wonders to perform; He plants His footsteps in the Sea and rides upon the storm.
    Ye fearful saints, fresh courage take; the clouds ye so much dread. Are big with mercy and shall break In blessings on your head.
    His purposes will ripen fast, unfolding every hour; The bud may have a bitter taste, But sweet will be the flower...."
    From the hymn-God Moves in a Mysterious Way
    Christy, I can picture my mom's eyes closed as she asked us to read her the words from this hymn as she faced her battle with cancer. I am praying for "fresh courage" for both you and Ian in each and every step you take.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shana, your words are beautiful and I echo them as my own prayer! Ian, Christy, Asha and Fiona, prayers go ahead of my sorrow. May you feel God's arms around you as you live in the shelter of His wings.

      Delete
  4. I know this sounds a bit strange but I was doing some reading. Since Ian is having intestinal issues because the good bacteria has been clearly diminished by chemo. Have they given him the option of Fecal Transplant? Yes, I know... It's healthy Fecal matter from a donor full of all the good bacteria. This may help produce more good bacteria in his own intestines. Which may help lover his fever? It wouldn't hurt to check it out.
    http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/gastroenterology_hepatology/clinical_services/advanced_endoscopy/fecal_transplantation.html
    Praying..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Christy, what are some of Ian's favorite Psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs? If you can, would you please send me a list to chrisjreno@gmail.com

    Lord have mercy

    ReplyDelete
  6. My thoughts are with him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. May the Lord comfort your hearts and give you strength of Spirit at this time ✨��✨
    Have you heard of MMS - Jim Humble .... This solution is healing many diseases - even cancer, malaria, fungal infections etc... check it out!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My heart is heavy for you both. I am lifting you all up in prayer!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We've never met but praying for you man. Keep the faith, no matter what. This fallen world is hostile and short lived. Our true Home is perfect and will last forever. God bless, Matthew

    ReplyDelete
  10. The King of Shalom is coming to the rescue! Whatever He has willed He brings:beauty, wholeness,comfort, rest, praise, to name a few. We wait expectantly! Look up!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The King of Shalom is coming to the rescue! Whatever He has willed He brings:beauty, wholeness,comfort, rest, praise, to name a few. We wait expectantly! Look up!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Strength and Love to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Replies
    1. That was so inadequate of a response. Let me try again. I am crying and trying to type through tears. I am praying for you, and trusting in God who is with you and will always be with you. I am so sorry for all of this. My heart goes out to you all.

      Delete
  14. I'm so sorry. Ian and I had the same start day at Riverbed; he was an impossible-to-miss dynamic presence his entire time there.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your family is constantly in my thoughts and prayers. May you find peace and grace as you navigate and determine the next steps. May Ian find comfort as he fights this horrific disease

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ian & Christy,
    I cannot communicate how deeply I have held your lives in my heart over the past 3 years. I have, as I'm sure many of us who have held you, sat and wept in prayer's of hope and agony as the waves of this war has waged on.

    Ian, our first meeting was at your home in Santa Cruz. As I recall, we all arrived late on a west-coast Aradhna tour. You were there, tall, muscular, with long-blonde hair and full-throttled energy. You suggested we go night surfing, then as an alternative to our polite decline, suggested night scuba-diving...I think, in the end, I'm pretty sure we settled on the hot tub.

    It's that image of you that I've carried with me as I've read about all of your fiercely-fought battles.

    So as this war wages on, I hope you know that I have and am holding up the flame of my life, hope and gratitude to the One who carries us all.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiu9Z8pL7Ds

    PS—I look forward to that night scuba diving

    ReplyDelete
  17. I continue to pray for you and your family Ian. Praying for all the things that you need right now to be abundantly poured out on you and in you. Sending you so much love from our family to yours.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Christy,
    praying for strength for you and wisdom as you love Ian and the girls and make key decisions in these days.
    love in Jesus, our resurrected One,
    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  19. Miranda and I love you guys deeply and pray for you constantly. We know that God is with you as you yourselves share so beautifully and freely in the midst of all that you are going through. You wrote that you are more and more drawn to surrender. May God's loving arms be the constant strength that both of you need, and that the girls need.

    ReplyDelete
  20. My wife Beth and I have been praying and weeping with your family. We barely know you guys, but feel close to you. We met Ian and Asha at Jeremy Kozdon's 4th of July party about 3 years ago, and several of our friends have known him well. We were remembering this week as we thought about Ian, how when we met, Asha made a funny scene with Beth. Ian was on the phone with Christy, and we were talking to Asha. She said to Beth, "Do you have babies in there?" (Pointing to Beth's belly) No, no babies. "Then why do you have milk for them??" (Putting one hand on Beth's chest) Ian: "Honey, I have to go, Asha is touching some woman's breasts." We thought it was hilarious and adorable.

    We are so encouraged by your faith lived out through this dark time, and will continue praying for you though whatever lies ahead.

    ReplyDelete