Amazing. Absolutely amazing! Ian has a history of being highly reactive to blood transfusions, all of which have been of the same blood type until today. We didn't know what to expect, but in spite of preventative pre-medications we were prepared for at least a bit of sibling rivalry. So there I stood, holding my breath as that wine-stained plasma made it's way down the plastic tubing and into Ian's body. I observed his skin under the bright lights, alert for those itchy hives that inevitably appear when foreign blood comes to the rescue. We waited and waited... and nothing happened. Not a single rash. Not a single case of the shakes. He was just fine, reinforced the whole time by countless prayers and encouraging calls, texts and comments pouring in from you precious people who are walking alongside us on the journey.
We are so thankful and relieved!
Around here, they refer to day zero as one's "new birthday"- I'm not exactly sure why they call it that, but I think I feel it in my heart. It's the birth canal into a long, vulnerable period of time dependent on others for survival. It's the seed of hope for a leukemia-free future. It's not just a new immune system, it's a new chance of life with a fresh appreciation of each new day. It's a day to celebrate, and celebrate we did! Here is a picture of Nurse Kristen again, but this time she is bringing Ian a mini birthday cake with a chorus of other nurses joyfully singing "happy birthday" behind her:
We are so thankful and relieved!
*******
Around here, they refer to day zero as one's "new birthday"- I'm not exactly sure why they call it that, but I think I feel it in my heart. It's the birth canal into a long, vulnerable period of time dependent on others for survival. It's the seed of hope for a leukemia-free future. It's not just a new immune system, it's a new chance of life with a fresh appreciation of each new day. It's a day to celebrate, and celebrate we did! Here is a picture of Nurse Kristen again, but this time she is bringing Ian a mini birthday cake with a chorus of other nurses joyfully singing "happy birthday" behind her:
Can't you feel the love?
Nurse Kristen snapped a shot of Ian and I, too.
And I snapped a close up of the cake, after sampling a slice :)



Happy birthday Ian!
ReplyDeleteSo thankful! BIG HUGS
ReplyDeleteCongratulations Ian and Christy!
ReplyDeleteSo much love and beauty rising from ashes here. Praying for you...
ReplyDelete(Tears of happiness streaming down my face) . . . Praise God!! I will be praying for God's protection on Ian as he traverses this new road in life.
ReplyDeleteLet that be an indication of good things to come...
ReplyDeleteSo thankful to hear this news. Praying for you!
ReplyDeletePraying and praying for you! Ian and Christy, this morning as I prayed for you the Lord reminded me of your wedding day. SO MUCH JOY! I mean most people are happy on their wedding day, but I SO remember the absolute giddiness that could not be contained by you two or anyone else who attended. I felt God wanted me to tell you that...probably because He loves you so much and I know He continues to fill you with His joy. Even as you fellowship in His suffering. Amazing. We all (even our children - they feel like they know you now!) continue to pray for you every single day!!
ReplyDeleteOh, P.S., didn't know I was signed in to Devin's gmail account. That note above was from Allison, but I know that Devin is right along with me in those thoughts! :>) Much love, Allison
ReplyDeleteyes! i LOVE you guys!!!!
ReplyDeletei can feel the love <3
ReplyDeleteThanks for the update, so glad to hear Ian is doing well. You both look great and your posts are so encouraging.
ReplyDeleteThank you Jesus!! Tears of joy indeed!
ReplyDelete"my life is in the hands of the Maker of heaven..
I give it all to you God, trusting that you'll make
something beautiful out of me."
My heart sings that now all day long, with you and for you!
God bless you all! I'm praying for you every day
ReplyDelete