Monday, February 18, 2013

The Monastery

Preparations are currently under way as we set up Ian's temporary home, heretofore referred to as "the monastery."  We are praying it will be a place of rest, healing, joy, connection, and spiritual growth.  We don't know when he will be coming home, but they estimate sometime between the 21st and the 28th. I am feeling ready for a monastery myself.... To be honest, I'm pretty worn thin. I feel like tissue paper on a highway as I now juggle between home, UCSF and the monastery. All prayers appreciated! I was reminded by a dear sister this morning of the fact that I can't do this in my own strength. I need to rely on serious supernatural grace to carry me every single moment.

Today is Day 12.  Ian is hanging in there.  Fevers come and go.  The mouth sores are getting worse in some areas, but starting to heal in others.  I'll spare you the details, but it is a gruesome agony.  His mouth doesn't look like a mouth any more and the oat meal must go down in slow, painful increments. He is trying to find a balance of pain management that doesn't compromise his mental clarity too much.
Hopefully his counts come back soon and then those mouth and throat sores will heal quickly. It looks like they are starting to come up already, but we will need to see the trend over time for full confirmation. I'll let you know. If so, that means the graft has successfully taken and he may be released this weekend!

I'll keep you updated...

3 comments:

  1. Dear Christy and Ian;
    We have been reading most of your updates. Gayle and I often pray for you. I've been feeling a little nostalgic lately and think of our friendship with great fondness and good memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Jesus! Please send your grace to cover Christy & Ian right now!

    ReplyDelete